Monday, December 27, 2010

The Twenty-Seventh of December...

Hey family!!

It was so awesome to talk to all of you on Saturday, and especially to see all of your beautiful faces, including Josh's awesome beard! That thing is sweeeet.

Welp, since we've already discussed a few things on Saturday, I will answer a few questions! First of all, my companion is NOT from Brazil, he was just kidding...and he didn't understand a thing Rudy said to him on Skype. He's from the state of Chiapas, Mexico, so to answer your question, he does speak Spanish haha. He's an absolute stud, seriously every day is like hanging out with a best friend. We get a long really really well and we already have several inside jokes...so we're definitely having a good time here.

Mom, we're in the Neza/Pantitlan Zone, but geographically we're in a colony called "La Arenal" in La Delegacion Venustiano Carranza in the federal district. Sorry if I don't write a lot this week either...this keyboard is covered in dirt and dust and the keys are all sticky...it's hard to write fast and it's frustrating.

We've been working with some really cool people these past weeks, including Mari Carmen and her daughter Sandy, who got baptized on Sunday. They're so fun to teach and work with, and they both have such great testimonies of the Gospel. We were able to see some miracles this week at Church; my companion and I were really concerned because we didn't have anyone to bring to Church, and the only people we could find last week were people we weren't really planning on focusing on too much...people who said they woud maybe go to Church and things like that. But, lo and behold, on Sunday they all went to Church by themselves! It was awesome.

My companion and I have been talking a lot about the things we've learned so far in the mission, and I've been especially pensive, considering the time I have left, and I've realized that I would not have learned half of the things I have learned had I chosen to not serve. It's such a unique time, where we can forget about our personal problems, and be dedicated completely to one cause. We only read Church materials. We pray who knows how many times a day. We listen to Church music, watch Church movies, talk about teaching the Gospel, and that allows us to be taught by the Holy Ghost. Those who don't serve literally do not know what they miss out on, and they never will know it. I can't tell you how much I love being a missionary. It has been the greatest joy of my entire life, and I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world. As I've reflected on things with the "soft filter of experience", I have gained an unwavering testimony that every good and bad experience have helped me grow, although personal growth is not my objective here in the mission field. I understand why the Lord requires His Priesthood Holders to serve in His army, and I'm grateful that I made the decision to do so even when I was nowhere near understanding "why".

These next five months are going to be awesome.

Elder Budge